The Positivity Project
What is The Positivity Project (P2)?
Mission: To help America’s youth build stronger relationships by recognizing the character strengths in themselves and others.
Vision: To develop leaders and citizens who will strengthen our communities and country by internalizing the belief that “Other People Matter”.
Each week throughout the year, students learn about a new character strength as part of The Positivity Project.
Character Strengths by Week
Purpose means you have beliefs about the meaning of life and your life's purpose. You seek to be part of something greater than yourself.
- "The purpose of life is to be happy." ~Dalai Lama
- "If you can't figure out your purpose, figure out your passion. For your passion will lead you into your purpose." ~TD Jakes
- What do you think your life's work will be?
- Do you believe we have more than one purpose?
- How is passion related to purpose?
Humor means you like to laugh and bring smiles to other people
- "Comedy can be a cathartic way to deal with personal trauma." ~Robin Williams
- "Humor is mankind's greatest blessing." Mark Twain
- What makes something funny?
- Does everyone find the same things/events funny?
- How can we incorporate more laughter in our lives and in our society?
Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence means you notice and value the world's beauty and people's skills. You don't take things for granted
Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence Quotes:
- "Colors are the smiles of nature." ~Leigh Hunt
- "If you can see beauty in everything, you are an artist." - Unknown
- How can people see beauty in different formats, such as music, art and dance?
- Can you think of ways you can continue to appreciate beauty in everyday life?
Fairness means you believe that all people have value. You approach situations with an unbiased mindset and treat everyone with respect
- We don't have to agree about everything to be friends. We do have to treat each other with respect ~ Unknown
- One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say. ~ Bryant H. McGill
- it is not fair to ask of others what you are not willing to do yourself. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- Does fairness mean everyone gets the same thing?
- Is it possible to treat everyone fairly?
- What are the benefits of treating everyone fairly?
Identifying and Appreciating the Good in Others
Identifying and Appreciating the Good in Others Quotes:
- Identifying and Appreciating the Good in Others ~ Dalai Lama
- Identifying and Appreciating the Good in Others ~ Nadia Comaneci
- A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself ~ Jim Morrison
Identifying and Appreciating the Good in Others Questions:
- Why should we take the time to appreciate each other?
- Who is somebody you could compliment?
- How does it feel to hear what others appreciate in us?
Love of Learning
Love of Learning Quotes:
- Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn ~ Benjamin Franklin
- Education is the key to unlock the golden door of freedom ~George Washington Carver
- One child, one book and one pen can change the world ~ Malala Yousafzai
Love of Learning Questions
- How does working together and facing challenges help you love learning?
- What other character traits go along with love of learning?
- Can learning new things help us with true happiness?
Social Intelligence means you are aware of other people's thoughts and feelings. You understand why they do things.
Social Intelligence Quotes:
- I think we all have empathy. We may not have enough courage to display it. ~ Maya Angelou
- When we understand the needs that motivate our own and others behavior, we have no enemies. ~ Marshall B. Rosenberg
Social Intelligence Questions:
- How can recognizing someone's facial expressions help to build relationships?
- How can empathy help you to have stronger social intelligence?
- Why is social intelligence important to building relationships
Enthusiasm means you approach life with excitement and energy. You energize people around you.
- In bad times and good, I have never lost my sense of zest for life. ~Walt Disney
- Enthusiasm is excitement with inspiration, motivation, and a pinch of creativity. ~Bo Bennet
- Success consists of going form failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm. ~Winston Churchill
- What are words that you would use to describe someone who has enthusiasm?
- Do you think enthusiasm and zest are contagious?
- In what ways can having enthusiasm be helpful in your life?
- Can having too much enthusiasm ever be a problem?
Cheering Others' Successes
Cheering for Others Quotes:
- "Those who are happiest are those who do the most for others." - Booker T. Washington
- "We rise by lifting others." - Robert Ingersoll
Cheering for Others Questions:
- Is it harder to be supportive of some people than others? Why or why not?
- What does cheering for others mean to you?
- What are some different ways you can cheer for others?
Humility means you do not seek the spotlight. You let your actions speak for themselves.
- “There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." ~ERNEST HEMINGWAY
- “A true genius admits he knows nothing.” ~ALBERT EINSTEIN
- “It is unwise to be too sure of one’s own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. ~MAHATMA GANDHI
- How do humility and leadership go hand in hand?
- Can you think of someone who displays humility? How do they demonstrate this?
- How does humility impact relationships?
Love means you value close relationships with others and being close to people
- “Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get – only what you are expecting to give – which is everything.” ~KATHARINE HEPBRUN
- “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.” ~MAYA ANGELOU
- “Think of love as a state of grace; not the means to anything but the alpha and omega, an end in itself.” ~GABRIEL GARCIA MARQUEZ
- What are some ways you can show love toward others?
- How can we feel love for things such as music, art, books, etc.?
- Is it the same kind of love we feel for people?
What does integrity mean?
You are honest and speak the truth. You present yourself genuinely and sincerely.
- "The time is always right to do what is right." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
- "When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad." ~ Abraham Lincoln
- "Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking." ~ J. C. Watts
- How does keeping your word demonstrate integrity?
- Why is showing integrity so important for friendships and relationships?
- Why do you think showing integrity can sometimes be hard, but still worth it?
Supporting others when they are struggling means when you see someone having a hard time, you step in and ask what you can do to help.
Supporting Others Quotes:
- "A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." ~Walter Winchell
- "Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light/" ~ Helen Keller
- "We have responsibility to help those around us and help those in need." ~Virginia Williams
Supporting Others Questions:
- Have you ever been struggling and in need of support? What happened?
- Can you think of a time where you have supported someone?
- How does it feel when you support others through a tough time?
Perseverance means you complete what you start despite obstacles. You never give up.
- "A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." ~Albert Einstein
- "Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." ~Dale Carnegie
- "Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do." ~Pele
- What are some ways you've shown perseverance in your life?
- Have you ever been afraid to make a mistake? Why were you afraid?
- Do you remember the first time you tried something new? Was it easy for you or did you have to try many times?
Prudence means you plan for the future and achieve your goals by making careful everyday choices.
- "The choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility." - Eleanor Roosevelt
- "Life is all about making choices. Always do your best to make the right ones, and always do your best to learn from the wrong ones." - Unknown
- How do your choices affect you? How do your choices affect others?
- How does making careful choices help you to achieve your goals?
- What can you do to encourage others to show prudence?
- What short term goals will you need to achieve in order to work towards one of your larger goals?
- What might distract you from achieving your goal and how can you deflect that?
Optimism means you expect the best from the future and work to achieve it.
- "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down." - Charlie Chaplin
- "Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness." - Desmond Tutu
- Why is it important to be optimistic and have hope?
- How can our optimism affect others?
- What can you do to help others practice optimism at home, at school, and in your community?
- Why is it sometimes hard to be optimistic? What are some ways you can work through this type of challenge?